The service manager at MB of Portland called late yesterday afternoon to say that the car is "fixed" and that the "exploded" clutch was the extent of the damage. He offered to have a driver from their center drive out to the SP where I'm located to give me a ride to pick up the car sometime today.
In the meantime, last night and this morning, I've received encouragement from a couple of different sources to "return" the car to the Portland dealership and ask for my money back - as it's definitely not feasible to tow the car back to El Dorado Hills to 'return' it to the dealership of purchase.
I've written a document detailing the chronology of events with the Smart car and sent it to an attorney friend to see what she has to say; I'm waiting for her reply. I called the Portland dealership this morning and said I'm unable to pick the car up today and will speak with the service manager on Monday [he's not working today]; I'm hoping to have more clarity about what course of action I should take between now and Monday.
Thanks to all my readers for your words of consolation, suggestion and wisdom. I do hope whatever decision is made that it will be the right one so I can get back to my North American adventure with a satisfactory resolution.
When the service manager called yesterday he indicated that the car is again ready to be towed by my motor home - even though it was he who told me earlier that they "don't recommend towing the Smart car." When I asked what I was to do if I experienced any of the same problems in the future, he said that would have to be dealt with by the selling dealership. Great! I'd emailed and called the salesman in El Dorado Hills yesterday and found that he's no longer working there!
Now I wait for maybe a little clarity from my attorney-friend; I certainly don't expect her to do any work for me as she's recently retired and doesn't need my grief. I just asked for her opinion; hope I get something today or tomorrow.